World Rugby is trialing a variation regarding substitutions in sevens. The USA Rugby Committee has approved the use of this Variation in all domestic competitions effective June 18, 2016.
The exact wording is copied below, but in essence it allows a player to return to the game after having been substituted off. The team is still restricted to a total of five substitutions during the game. [This includes any extra time – there are no additional substitutes permitted during additional playing time.]
The Exception that allows a replacement for a player with a blood injury remains, even after a team has made all five of its allowed substitutions.
The Law that allows a temporary replacement for head injury assessment (which is referenced in this Variation) IS NOT APPROVED FOR DOMESTIC USE.
Chair, USA Rugby Law sub-committee
SEVENS LAW VARIATIONS
3.4 Players nominated as substitutes
- A team may nominate up to five replacements/substitutes.
- A team may substitute or replace up to five players.
- A team may substitute the same player more than once as long as no more than 5 substitutions are made in total. See 3.13 for exception
3.13 Substituted players rejoining the match
If a player is substituted, that player may return to play in that match under the following circumstances:
- Up to 5 tactical substitutions per game
- In addition to which players may return to play when replacing:
- a player with a blood injury in accordance with Law 3.11
- a player undertaking a Head Injury Assessment in accordance with Law 3.12. NOT IN EFFECT FOR DOMESTIC COMPETITIONS